Friday, October 31, 2008

The Recovering Cholo

A little levity in the midst of tough economic times......

I was thinking this morning about culture and what I identify with.  Am I Mexican?  Am I Hispanic? Am I Latino or Chicano?  I finally realized at my core, I am a recovering cholo!  This was a bold discovery to finally come to grips with my identity!  I have been struggling with this for years!  Here are some of the indicators to help you embrace your inner cholo:

Terms of Endearment:  I have always been criticized for not being incredibly affectionate, especially through words.  Most people refer to their significant others as "honey", "sweetheart" or "dear".  My querida wife has always been referred to as "homes."

Salutation:  Most people greet each other by saying "hello" or "how are you" or "good to see you."  The recovering cholo cannot get passed:  "orale homie" or "q-vole vato!"  These salutations bleed out like a verbal reflex that cannot be controlled.

References to Inanimate Objects:  References to cars as "ramflas" or  calling a chair a "share" or calling your favorite song a "rolla" help to define your inner cholo. 

Ring tones:  The recovering cholo does not like ringtones from contemporary artists.  If you hear "I'm your puppet" as someone's phone rings, you are in the presence of a true cholo!  

Fashion:  The recovering cholo still thinks hush puppies or "shopos" look good with a suit.  

So, onward my fellow cholos!  Embrace your identities! Que viva los cholos! 

No comments: