Sunday, September 7, 2008

Music Without Message


As I was reading an article about Rage Against the Machine and what they were doing to protest partisan politics.  I had to rewind back the proverbial 8-track mind to think about the protest music of the late 60's and early 70's.  Edwin Starr was singing; "War, what is it good for?"  Marvin Gaye released his groundbreaking What's Going On album that raised awareness about the environment (Mercy, Mercy Me), poverty (Make Me Wanna Holla) and other important social issues of the day.  Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor and even the Godfather of Soul James Brown all used the most powerful media platform--music--to elevate the mind and move the soul towards action.  

Unfortunately, Rage Against the Machine is an anomaly in a music scene entrenched in shallow content and little substance.  I ask friends about this, and the most common answer I get is: "My life is hard as it is.  I don't need to be thinking about anything when I listen to music.  Its my release."  Or, "I like the beat.  I don't really listen to the lyrics."

Hip-hop artist/mogul  Diddy--I think that's what his name is this week--makes matters worse by dumbing down the issues to try to connect with young voters.  Anyone see his YouTube videos?  I respect the effort to mobilize youth to vote.  What I don't respect is the message or lack there of.  I think he should stick to "Shaking his Tailfeather."

My younger friends get on my case by saying that there are artists in hip-hop that do have a message in their music.  They're just "underground."  My question then becomes;  "How can we get this music to see the light of day?"  I'm a child of the 80's and remember the groundbreaking work of Public Enemy.  I contrast their work against what I hear on the airwaves these days and there is no comparison.  But, I also wonder if there would be a market today for their music?  Probably pretty small I would imagine.  

Anyways, you can find me thumbing through old crates of 12" singles and boxes of 8-track tapes until we figure this one out.         


No comments: