Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Social Utilitarianism


Millions of people are now connected via the powerful social utility platforms like Myspace and Facebook.  I was reluctant to embrace this contemporary form of networking at first.  Mood: Pissed off; Status:  Huh?  Friends?  The concept seemed a little superficial to me.  Reluctantly, I started out with a Facebook page, since most of my "friends" said it was a more "mature" crowd. I thought to myself, "wasn't Facebook set-up to connect college students?" I'm a little removed from that demographic.  Anyways, I spent the requisite time laying out my page, uploading photos and putting together a brief bio.  

Then, like a freckled-faced teenager, I set out to get me some friends!  Much like the freckled-faced teenager, I got off to a slow start.  Now, this is where they get you.  It becomes competitive. How come so and so has more friends than me?  You begin clicking the profiles of others to snatch up some of their friends.  There's no way so and so can have more friends than me!  By then, it's too late......you're hooked-in.  A couple of weeks later, you set-up a Myspace page to see if you can get more friends there........

Aside from the shameless friend connections, social utilities have become powerful tools in the worlds of marketing, politics and advocacy.  The ability to mobilize thousands with the click of a button has revolutionized the way campaigns are run; the way we fundraise for the causes that are important to us; and the way we mobilize people to vote and support issues.  Sen. Barack Obama's campaign has fully embraced social utilities to spread their message and mobilize voters.  You can find all kinds of "groups" on Facebook that seek to rally people around candidates of both parties. 

In terms of social consciousness and philanthropy, Facebook has launched a "Causes" application that allows you to advocate and raise money for the social issues that are important to you.  Organizations, like the Red Cross, Keva Loans, Stand Up Against Cancer are now using this powerful platform to raise awareness and garner monetary support for critical social/wellness issues around the world.  

While these social utilities increase our ability to connect, they also decrease our ability to be focused and productive at work.  Inbox:  President George W. Bush wants to be your friend.  Yikes!  Better delete that one!  Hmm, I think I need to change my profile picture.  I wonder what Gov. Sarah Palin's "mood" is right now........You get the picture.          

 

No comments: