Thursday, September 11, 2008

Paving the Way for Future Generations


September 15th marks the beginning of Hispanic Heritage month. Festivities will take place throughout the country and in our own great state of New Mexico to celebrate the people who helped pave the way for people like me. September 15th was chosen as the starting point for the celebration because it is the anniversary of independence of five Latin American countries: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua. They all declared independence in 1821. In addition, Mexico and Chile celebrate their independence days on September 16 and September 18, respectively.

Have we come a long way? Absolutely. Do we still have a lot of work to do to improve the way Latinos live and work in this country? You bet. It is important however to take a moment to reflect on some of the great strides we’ve made. Cesar Chavez single-handedly began an entire movement to improve the plight of Latino workers. U.S. Senator Dennis Chavez of New Mexico was the first United States Senator of Hispanic origin. As for me, I will be thinking of these national leaders who helped shape our heritage and our lives in this country. In addition, I will be thinking of my own heroes in life, who taught me strength in faith and unity in family.


I will be thinking of my Grandma, who cared for us when we were sick by giving us “remedios” instead of the western medicine prescribed to us. I will think of the smell of fresh tortillas in her kitchen, her faith in God, and her ability to connect an entire family with tradition, faith and love. She will not appear in a history book, or in an internet google search, but she taught me how to keep my Mexican heritage and succeed in America. Be sure to take a moment to honor your heroes who helped pave the way for future generations.

Alicia M. Manzano is a member of the Hispanic Statement of Cooperation.  She is an expert in fund development and marketing with special emphasis in Latino marketing.


No comments: